It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:04 am
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: 2019 Suzuki Jimny

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:21 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi all
I've got a 2019 Suzuki Jimny in Automatic. Since I purchased the car there has been a whining noise during acceleration and deceleration (see video). Haven't brought it up with the dealer as I assumed it was normal however I've seen comments on a Jimny Facebook page recently which seems to suggest otherwise. Is this normal? or do I need to get it looked at? It's been serviced twice and has never been brought up by the dealer. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

I live here!
I live here!

Vehicle: JB74

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:22 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
See ya dealer about it, pretty sure the problem is in the transfer case but I thought it was only on the manuals???

Vehicle: A manly awesome man jimny

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:04 am 
Reply with quote Top  
What joe said however it might also pay to have a look at your rear wheel bearings.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:45 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Transfer case is chain drive so there shouldn't be any gear to gear contact (which is what that sounds like) but regardless, that's an unacceptable amount of noise for a new car.

It can be difficult to get dealers to be responsive to noises, you'll have to be quite persistent.

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:05 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:
Transfer case is chain drive so there shouldn't be any gear to gear contact (which is what that sounds like) but regardless, that's an unacceptable amount of noise for a new car.

It can be difficult to get dealers to be responsive to noises, you'll have to be quite persistent.
When I installed the low range reduction gears into my push button Jimny transfer case the gear to gear contact was considerably louder then the standard gears.

It actually sounded very similar to that video.... ;)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:49 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Interesting. In low or high range?

Vehicle: 91 Tin Top

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:58 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Only in low.
Even though they where a good Japanese brand reduction gears, I just assumed the aftermarket gears didn’t have the same ‘finish’ on the cut as the factory ones.

I was going to ask the OP if that video was taken driving in low range.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:03 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Yeah, not surprising in low range.

Good point though, I assumed the OP was posting about noise in high range, not low, but it's not clear.

omnipotent being
omnipotent being

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:11 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Did it have the diff oils changed at the 10k service? I dont know why its in the book but I assume they know there is early wear in the diffs that needs new oil.

Mine makes a similar pitch and sound whine when driving, sometimes I think its a bit whiny then remember thats how they have always been, its hard to say if yours is louder or not obviously, maybe you might be able to find a ride in another to compare?

And sadly, it does seem Suzuki Aus and the dealers still havent got any good at dealing with stuff like this.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:19 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
See below

Last edited by newyjimny on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:26 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Yep. Front and rear diff oils changed at 10k service according to invoice.

Haven't had the chance to the drive any others. Have seen videos but hard to tell how how loud it is for comparison. Spoken to another owner who brought it up with their dealer - answer was its normal operation and is due to a combination of transfer case not having a 'true neutral', transfer case being located close to driver and lack of sound deadening.

Thats my worry given my lack of mechanical knowledge - just a 'thats what they all sound like' - and then something goes wrong down the line which could've been prevented.

Vehicle: Jimny JB74

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:29 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Gwagensteve wrote:

Gwagensteve as usual is right :)

I'm an owner of JB74 MY2019 manual. My noise is more severe and short, occurring only in first gear at around 1600rpm when taking off up the hill. Took some time to convince the dealer, but new chain was order from Japan and replaced early this year. Was great afterwords for 4 months, but now the problem is back to what is used to be. Will notify the dealer on next service.

Other found problems:
Seized starter motor puley after driving through a shallow water puddle, car was thoroghly washed that same day. Anfter long debate with the dealer they aggreed to fix it free of charge.
Rare loud cracking noise apparently comming from rear axle, only on off road. Didn't happened again for last six months

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:07 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Quote:
Seized starter motor puley after driving through a shallow water puddle, car was thoroghly washed that same day. Anfter long debate with the dealer they aggreed to fix it free of charge.

This is standard practice for the dealer network - They will attempt to deny any warranty claim if there is evidence the vehicle has been operated off road. Damage due to water and mud is a difficult one because of where the factory set fording depth. It's not by accident this is generally in the owners manual, and it's often hilariously low (like bottom of the rim) - it's so warranty can be denied on vehicles which are water damaged. There is good reason for this - water/mud damage is extremely expensive to repair, can be widespread, and might only show after some time after the incident. Dealers can't be expected to be forensic experts and make a call on how deep the water/mud was or how the owner used the car.

Quote:
Rare loud cracking noise apparently comming from rear axle, only on off road. Didn't happened again for last six months

This was completely normal for the old model jimny. As the new model runs basically the same suspension components I'm not surprised it's still present. I believe it's movement in the springs on the seats - they come slightly out of their seat and then creak/clack as they sit back on the seat.

Vehicle: Jimny JB74

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:04 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Soon will go for another round with the dealer :toughguy: , asking to repair transfer case chain noise. Now this fastidious noise occurs almost every time in 1st gear, hill or flat plus you can sort of hear it in 2nd too.
Does some one know if new Jimny engine can tolerate E10 ?

Vehicle: 98 SQ420, 05 JB420, 21 A6G415

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:59 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
For the transfer case chain noise, ask the dealer about bulletin Q-A6G-004 - I'll be making that request at the first service.

Jump to: