It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: R50 pathfinder

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:19 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hey guys looking at upgrading the carby on my 1.3L sierra, what is generally the most common upgrade and what do people suggest? Cheers

Vehicle: 98 5 dr SQ420, 05 5dr JB420

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:55 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Did you consider a search, this has to be one of the more commonly asked (and answered) questions - Toyota Corolla carb is the answer.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 am 
Reply with quote Top  
In the good tech section you’ll find some info on the 4K carby Fordem is talking about. All you need to know is there really. Some people go for a Weber copy which give a slight increase in power but they suffer on steep inclines. Might be an option depending on what you use your car for

Vehicle: R50 pathfinder

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
bumstein wrote:
In the good tech section you’ll find some info on the 4K carby Fordem is talking about. All you need to know is there really. Some people go for a Weber copy which give a slight increase in power but they suffer on steep inclines. Might be an option depending on what you use your car for

Yea I'll do some searching thanks. I'm going to be using it mainly for 4x4ing, nothing to hard but I would say a fair few hill climbs in the areas I go, so maybe the weber isn't the go. Is that the same with the corolla carb?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 am 
Reply with quote Top  
there is no need to upgrade the carby with another carby. Just rebuild the stock one. if you want more power go EFI

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: Sierras!! SWB and LWB

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:06 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Jgladman wrote:
I'm going to be using it mainly for 4x4ing

Then I’d suggest not to go the Weber. They’re set up differently and will over-fuel on either inclines or declines depending on type. I’ve run a Weber on two Sierra’s. While they’re ok for highway, off road (and I’m talking about mild 4wding, not even difficult stuff) it was rubbish.

The 3k or 4K carby are cheap, simple and work well. I think that’s the go.

As Tanshi says, EFI is a great option however it’s a more difficult conversion. Up to you if you want to consider it, although if you’re looking at concerting ti EFI then why not convert to a G16B while you’re at it? Then the whole thing becomes a big project. $100 and a bit of time will have your car running great while you consider long term improvements like EFI.

I advise against rebuilding the stock carby. IMO they’re old, worn out and not worth rebuilding. I spent around $550 having a carby guru rebuild my stock carby and it still doesn’t run right. It was good for a while (not great, but good) but now I’m replacing it with a 4K carby that cost me $85 delivered. I should have done that it the first place I reckon

Jump to: