It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:30 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Vehicle: Suzuki GV Navigator 2015 SWB

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:42 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hello,
First time posting. I am a total noob but I am looking to make my recently bought Suzuki GV Navigator 2015 SWB more off-road capable.
I am looking at adding a lift kit and some under car protection (and any other thing you might recommend).
I can find a lot of references to lift kits to previous year Suzuki GV models, but not to post 2015 models. And most of the online websites seem to just refer to the models up to 2015. Is this new model not really modifiable?
I would appreciate any recommendation that you guys might have.
Thanks a lot
Sergio

Vehicle: JT SWB Grand Vitara

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:54 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi Sergio, my daughter has just done exactly the same - second hand late model SWB Navigator. I understand the JT 2005 to 2018 third series are all the same and production ended ~2018
I've bought a bash plate but need to fabricate an extension to protect the transfer box. I'm also trying to work out what I can do to protect the rear diff and muffler and maybe install a smaller muffler as it looks vulnerable. One of the guys on this site (Slug) has moved the muffler forward to beside the gearbox, still investigating that one.
I'm planning to lift it a bit however, seems there is a lot of negatives on this site re raised late model GV's chewing out front suspension bushes. Dobinson, Ironman and others do 40mm lift kits. ARB/Old Man Emu only do 20mm which isn't lift much for the money but maybe it's safer - ie more reliable.
Larger diameter tyres are also on the list, so tossing up how much bigger as I don't want to cruel fuel consumption. Maybe just go up from 70 to 75 profiles(?)

We aren't trying to get anywhere extreme or fast, just want to reliably get to nice spots for camping/kayaking/photography, and still have a reliable daily driver.

I'm also a Noob so hopefully some of the experts chime in and help us out!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:11 am 
Reply with quote Top  
NGV’s use a suspension bush design shared with most FWD cars- in the front the rearmost lower wishbone bush is rotated 90 degrees so the bolt runs vertical. This means ANY suspension lift forces the bush into bind. OME have decided the maximum safe limit is 20mm, others have decided it’s 40mm.

Regardless, the big trade off is that any suspension lift on the NGV significantly reduces wheel travel. (We’ve proven this on a travel ramp comparing stock and lifted cars)

Under body protection is very wise.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:09 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks Gwagensteve. I found that offending vertical bush. Sod of an idea!
Do you have a feel for how much tyre diameter increase can be tolerated before fuel economy and power suffers?

Vehicle: Suzuki GV Navigator 2015 SWB

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:43 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks a lot for that kendb and Gwagensteve.
I'll follow your advice and just start with larger diameter (and better off road) tyres and some underbody protection.

Vehicle: 2010 3.2L V6 Grand Vitara

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:56 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Dobinson or Ironman for your lift (OME isn't much of a lift and is hardly worth doing), and Ironman for your underbody protection (but it's not foolproof, I've welded extra bracing on my transfer case plate and have to take it off and bend it back into shape every time it gets hit).

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi Ilama_au, have you lifted your gv and if so how much, how long has it been lifted, and have you had any suspension problems?

Vehicle: 98 5 dr SQ420, 05 5dr JB420

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 am 
Reply with quote Top  
llama_au wrote:
Dobinson or Ironman for your lift (OME isn't much of a lift and is hardly worth doing), and Ironman for your underbody protection (but it's not foolproof, I've welded extra bracing on my transfer case plate and have to take it off and bend it back into shape every time it gets hit).

What OME is offering is not a lift perse, but an uprated spring that reduces the "droop" when the vehicle is loaded.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:38 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
kendb wrote:
Hi Ilama_au, have you lifted your gv and if so how much, how long has it been lifted, and have you had any suspension problems?

I have. Mine's got an Ironman lift. It didn't go up much in the front (25mm before the bullbar went on), but 45mm in the rear (assuming the stock suspension sagged a lot as it would have been towing with the previous owner). I run the constant load springs front and rear.

They are firm, and the front shocks have a slight knock (at 30,000kms old), but I think I'll replace them with Dobinsons next to get a bit more height. They dramatically improved the handling.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vehicle: Vitara Navigator

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:52 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Running a Dobinson 40mm lift and 245/70R17 KO2's

IMG tag won't work for some reason, so link for pic; https://bit.ly/2NYB2Ad

Vehicle: 98 5 dr SQ420, 05 5dr JB420

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:28 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
llama_au wrote:
They are firm, and the front shocks have a slight knock (at 30,000kms old), but I think I'll replace them with Dobinsons next to get a bit more height. They dramatically improved the handling.

Be aware - the more lift you have, the shorter the life of the front control arm rear bushes - this is a known weak spot on these vehicles.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:00 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
They were flogged out before I lifted it. I replaced them with Superpro bushes (which have the added benefit of correcting caster on the passenger side): https://www.superpro.com.au/find/superp ... n-SPF3385K

Jump to: