It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » N00b Talk

Vehicle: 85 drover/sierra

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:45 am 
Reply with quote Top  
It’s been awhile since i was on here but getting the rebuild going again after putting it on hold because of lack of cash and interest. My old 85 drover has been sitting on stands out in the weather and looks a little neglected so first up i need to at least get it rolling again so rear diff rebuild is first. I have been looking online for options and superior have a lockright locker and i do not have any idea how good they are? I want something that drives reasonably smooth around town without major racheting but still good on sand and mud. Any reviews of any similar lockers welcome as i have not been keeping tabs on what’s around and the searches i have done have not enlightened me enough. Any thoughts?
Cheers

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:03 am 
Reply with quote Top  
After doing a search on here i found i had an old post asking the same thing, i don’t remember doing that. I must have been on the turps that day. So the lockrights are a bit harsh i take it? E/air lockers looks like the smoothest for around town but i was always wary of having extra stuff underneath that could play up or get ripped out. Having a air comp onboard will come in handy so are there any things i might need to know about if i go Arb air locker? As far as i can tell they don’t make true trak type things for these or do they? I have sent enquiries to a few places but they are not in a hurry to get back to me as yet. I want to do this right from the start so is even a whole diff transplant from something else possible keeping in mind the stock front diff and ratios. Air locker is starting to look the goods. I would appreciate any feedback and promise this time to check for replies.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:42 am 
Reply with quote Top  
If you have the budget put an airlocker and HD line kit in it. Job done.

Vehicle: Suzuki sierras

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
^ what Gwagensteve said. I put an arb air locker in it was the best thing i ever did to the car, its only one extra line under the car.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:55 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Now to find the best price unless someone on the forum is selling one. Anything that tends to wear out if i buy secondhand besides maybe the compressor?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:49 am 
Reply with quote Top  
There’s an early style and late style. The early style have 2 digit part numbers (RD88) and the late style have three digit. ARB do not carry parts for the early style ant more as far as I am aware.

Only real wear items are seals and if the diff is setup properly they last for years.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:38 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks for the info guys. Now to start sorting through my piles of parts and see if i still have everything.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I think he said 1490 or was it 1590 just for the bits i fit myself? And he mentioned most self installed ended with tears. Apparently i just missed last months deal which would have given me a free middle range compressor. I liked the idea of the top model air tool one but would it be worth it? I probably wouldn’t have them with me. I assume some people go with another brand comp and the little holding tank might be usefull. Air lines etc look like they are extra. My wallet hurts.

Vehicle: buying

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:28 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi,

I Purchased an airlocker from china, and I was a bit wary that it could be crap but after recieving it the machining quality looked really good, it fitted perfectly into my diff and I hae had zero trouble with it for a couple of years now. I got it delivered to my door for $650 with all the parts required to fit it and an aircompressor with all the wiring to put it in. I am sceptical of the aircompressor but it hasnt failed yet

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:08 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I was thinking about going that way but kind of want the peace of mind of having it rock solid from the start. Trying to save some dollars always seems to make me regret it latter on and i am a magnet for things going wrong. Waiting for tax check and it appears i still have most of the parts and tidied up my work area. Getting ready.

Vehicle: buying

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:38 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I also got a chinese air locker and havent had any issues so far. The quakity seened quite good and the install was very simple.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 am 
Reply with quote Top  
I havn’t bought one yet as i am still hoping i somehow find a cheap one. There is not much being advertised except from arb themselves.

Jump to: