It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Suzuki Talk

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:45 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi guys, need some advice on what could be the problem.

It stalls when I stop at the lights, has only done it twice but its still an issue, check engine light comes on also...
Have also noticed while stationary the revs seem to drop down pretty low and then build back up to normal idle revs sometimes.

could this be an ignition problem?

97 1.6 efi vit with 100xxx on the clock.

Cheers Mark.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:24 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Do a search marky, there are heaps of threads about this with some good.info.

It seems to be a common problem with the g16b's.

Start with basics,
Filters (fuel and air)
Spark plugs

Then move onto the bigger stuff:
Timing (may not be the cause but never hurts)
Clean afm with a good contact.cleaner(co contact)
Clean the IAC valve with Cathy cleaner
Check all vaccum hoses(perishing,cracks,fallen off)(spray them when the motor is running.with something like "start ya bastard" you will notice a change in revs if there is a leak)
Do not spray on electrical connections as a spark may make some interesting situations.
Clean throttle body and butterfly

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:11 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks swifty, will do my best to check all of that, im replacing timing belt soon anyway so thats no biggy.

cheers mate.

Vehicle: 91 WT 1.6EFI

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:37 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
just fixed this problem on my g16b. it was stalling intermittently when I put the clutch in coming up to a light or coasting in traffic. it was a blocked EGR. the EGR is located in the back of the engine just underneath the fuel intake line. its held in place by two m10 bolts. I carefully used a small screw driver to loosen all the blockage and then unloaded a can of carby cleaner into it. after clearing the ports the diaphragm should move freely when you push on it. took it for a drive and it was stalling and stalling again as soon as I restarted the motor. got back home and tried pushing on the diaphragm, it was stuck. worked at it for a minute and it started to move again. the problem was a small amount of rust restricting movement. sprayed it with some wd-40 and now it works perfectly. if you haven't cleaned the EGR give it a look takes 5 mins to make sure this doesn't happen to you.

Vehicle: SAS'd Vitara on 35's

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:01 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Dunno about the suzuki motors, but with the manual commodore engines if the speed sensor isn't working the engine light will come on and the car will stall at intersections ect.

Its caused due decelerating (throttle closed, revs above idle) so computer thinks its sitting in nuetral and idling to high, and tries to lower idle by cutting back the air, when the car is at idle revs (at lights etc) the air has been cut too much for the computer to quickly adjust back.

Also Vitara engine lights will come on when they dont recieve a speed signal.

Profile WWW  

Jump to: