It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:12 pm
Board index » Talking About Stuff » Good Tech

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:02 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
kristov wrote:
so is any1 running m15 conversion?

I've just finished my motor swap as my missus is off her p's now. Since I've done my M15 conversion i find it pleasurable to drive, I find that i don't have to work it hard as i had to before.
My missus reckons if she had the motor swap while she was on her p's she thinks she would of lost her licence for speeding, But i don't find that.
If you can find an M16 that would be much better, The only reason i went M15 is because i got my whole motors plus the extras installed with only 8,000ks on it for $450.
I wouldn't go the M18 because it will more likely break more stuff and a few people are having injector problems.

Some things to consider are :

Oil filter thread, make sure you have two bolts to take the thread out there's no point buying a new one because you still need the bolts to put the thing back in

Make sure you have the right extensions and flexy extender with the multi point socket

Also make sure the bolts aren't lock tighted, My motor has been pulled before and the guy i bought it off lock tighted the motor and gearbox, Even with the motor and gearbox out i needed a six point socket, Breaker bar and a pipe to slide over the breaker bar to crack the bolts

When i went down to get the gaskets i found out the M15 gasket is different to the jimny gasket, So use the jimny gasket not the M15 gasket.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:12 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
thanks for the info guys.

play it safe and go M15/16 for us non VVT owners

thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
m18a with liana non vvt m16a head should work

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 2011 jimny

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Thanks dougie thats the info ive been looking for :D im thinking m15 as its only a bit bigger and less likely to brake things with the m18, and the m18 injectors have not been getting a good name

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:01 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
anyone have any ticks to undo tight as hell gearbox bolts

Vehicle: 2004 Suzuki Jimny JLX

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Hi

Sorry to hassle people, however could someone put me in the right direction of where to get a copy of a Liana M18a VVT Wiring Diagram, all the ones I can find on the net as non-vvt...

Cheers

Jimbo

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 am 
Reply with quote Top  
kristov wrote:
anyone have any ticks to undo tight as hell gearbox bolts

Use brake disc shavings on your socket they cling onto the heads like claws especially handy for round bolts that even my usual custom exhaust guy doesnt know yet (his thick but great custom headers) after been in business for 30 years! I wont tell him the trick cause he overcharges everyone these days in the most dodgiest ways & wont listen to reason so Fxxk him. Most auto enthusiasts and decent mechanics know the trick.

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 2008 Jimny Standard As :-)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Starting to seriously consider the m15a swap for my Jim, keep the info coming and convince me.

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: abc

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 am 
Reply with quote Top  
JayKay wrote:
Starting to seriously consider the m15a swap for my Jim, keep the info coming and convince me.

its pretty easy if you are mechanically knowledgeable!

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Glanza777 wrote:
JayKay wrote:

I'm getting there, learning alot from working on the zook and learning from the Ol man.
I'd be tackling it with him because he's pretty good with all that.

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: abc

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 am 
Reply with quote Top  
JayKay wrote:
Glanza777 wrote:
JayKay wrote:

I'm getting there, learning alot from working on the zook and learning from the Ol man.

If it helps, I hadn't had any experience with Jimny's and only went off based on this guide.

I am not a qualified mechanic, more just a backyard one and, knocked it out in a weekend by my self if you have the motivation!

All in all, everything here is what you need :)

Vehicle: 2006 M18A VVT auto Jimny

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
JayKay wrote:
Glanza777 wrote:
JayKay wrote:

If you've got a 2008 go the M18a. You won't be disappointed. Mine has been faultless, auto strong as with 30's and giving it absolute hidings of road.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:41 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Would be awesome, I read somewhere a m18a can't be done in a 2008+ model because of emissions?

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:56 am 
Reply with quote Top  
emissions? should be the same if using as the rules state - you must use exactly all the hardware relating to exhaust system & pollution gear from the car it came from.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Was just something I read online about cars complianced after July 2008

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 2006 Jimny - SOLD

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:28 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
From page 1:
squibby wrote:
Another thing to consider in australia:-
Jimny conforms to Euro 4 emmisions after June 30th, 2008.
Jimny conforms to Euro 3 emmisions before July 1st 2008.

Liana sourced engines, 1.6 and 1.8 are Euro 3 emmisions only, so check that your jimny was ADR'd (Australian Design Rules Compliance Plate) before July 1st 2008 before you fit if you intend to use the vehicle on the public roads.

- Tim.

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:44 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Ah ha, yep counts a 1.8 out :(

Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:43 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
imo a 1.5 gives you heaps more gains than u would think,but i have not been in a 1.8 yet

Vehicle: Suzuki Jimny 2008

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:51 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Just converted mine to a m18a what a difference anyone have any ideas in if u can use the intake and ecu from the m18aso i can get full effect of m18a

Vehicle: Sj70 tintop

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:53 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
what about bolt a swift front end on the jim??

Vehicle: On the lookout

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:25 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
tslight wrote:
Just converted mine to a m18a what a difference anyone have any ideas in if u can use the intake and ecu from the m18aso i can get full effect of m18a

(Converting over to the M18 ECU has been discussed to death if you use the search function, so you could go that route. However I know of only one other successful conversion, but I did not a few teething issues. My opinion is it's a world of pain for VVT Jimny conversions. You need donor M18 ECU, Keys, Immobiliser, the plugs for the ECU and then you have to jig all the pin-outs on both ECU and immobiliser and you also have to know what you are doing ie. have both sets of detailed manuals for the donor ECU and Jimny ECU so you can figure it all out. About 95% of the Donor ECU correlates to similar inputs on the Jimny ECU, but there are 5% grey areas that you will have to figure out and fill in the 'gaps' somehow.

If you got a Non-VVT jimny that you want to convert to Non-VVT M16 ECU, I believe this is slightly easier then the VVT M13 ECU to VVT M18 ECU based on my research with the wiring manuals.)

Getting back to your actual question above, I have two ideas to get the M13 ECU to run as well as the M18 ECU with the M18 engine

a) Get a pulse adjuster such as this one, http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5384 . Install the M18 Throttle Body and use this pulse adjuster to adjust the pulse to the Idle air Valve. You see the M18 Throttle body runs great at rpm, but it won't idle on the Jimny ECU because the port for the idle air is bigger on the M18 Throttle body. With some trial and error with the pulse adjuster I reckon you could get the jimny M13 ECU idling on the M18 Throttle Body.

b) Second Idea I have to sort out the fuelling at the higher rpm - Get someone to install a piggy-back ECU simply to adjust the signal to the injectors. This'll get the Jimny running at max power for the higher rpms. I haven't found a product to do this because I sold my Jimny now so I lost interest, but something similar to a 'power commander' as commonly used on motorbikes will do the trick. In fact there is probably a power commander out there that could be made to fit the Jimny. Then get it dyno tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

If a) and b) were successfully implemented you could get the Jimny to run as good if not better then the stock ECU. I wonder if the ECU would throw an engine light due to the interference from the piggy back ECU? I don't think so but it's possible if the feedback from the lambda sensors were out of spec compared to the air going in through the MAF/MAP.

These are just ideas for discussion, Royce gave me idea a) a long time ago, and idea b) comes from my playing around with multiple motorcycles were piggy back ECU's are just a matter of fact when it comes to most kinds of tuning.

Obvisoult you got option C) as well which is to get a total replacement aftermarket ECU. I got quoted $2000 installed for this option once, which is a bargain, so it'll probably cost you more.

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:47 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
The M13 ECU can be reflashed, I haven't done much work on it yet but I'm going to be looking at it soon for a guy in Poland, I've got some parts coming to build a bench development ECU.

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 am 
Reply with quote Top  
Easy fix, just re-stamp your M18a with your M13a digits, motor looks identical

Theoretically speaking

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:15 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
just dribble some durafix on the halve of the 8 and you get a 3 :)

Vehicle: 2012 Jimny

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:55 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Been pulling bits of my new M15A getting it ready for fitting and noticed that the throttle bodies are the same size and are identical except for a external bracket on the swift and the swift one has the crankcase ventilation fitting on it not on the air pipe like on the jimny. Looking at the fuel injectors they appear to be the same also but will do some research to check.

M15a throttle 50mm

M13A throttle 50mm

Also was wondering why people have been swapping the main pulley/balancer off the front of the motors as the M15A is the same size? Is there something I'm missing?

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:58 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
Interesting. For the M18A Liana conversions there are definitely differences.

Paulw wrote:
Been pulling bits of my new M15A getting it ready for fitting and noticed that the throttle bodies are the same size and are identical except for a external bracket on the swift ...

The M18A throttle body is definitely different. Side by side comparison photos below, in each photo the M13A is on the left and M18A is on the right.

Paulw wrote:
Looking at the fuel injectors they appear to be the same also but will do some research to check.

The injectors may look the same but I would expect the injectors from the larger engine to have a higher throughput. I know that my M18A injectors looked slightly different to the M13A ones. I have a photo of the M13A injectors below, but no similar photo of the M18A injectors unfortunately.

Paulw wrote:
Also was wondering why people have been swapping the main pulley/balancer off the front of the motors as the M15A is the same size? Is there something I'm missing?

For the Liana M18A the pulleys are different.

This is a Liana pulley (both pulleys are a similar size):

This is a Jimny pulley (smaller outer pulley):

- Tim.

Last edited by tim80z on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile WWW  

az supporter
az supporter

Vehicle: 2006 Jimny JLX

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:14 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
I'm watching with interest

Profile WWW  

Vehicle: 2012 Jimny

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:12 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
just went and compared part no. on the injectors on the m13a and m15a both are 297500-0120 (200cc),

Quote:
For the Liana M18A the pulleys are different.

Thanks Tim just went out in the cold and had a better look at the M13a pulley and it is different from the M15A, cool will undo the bolt on the M13a while it is still in the car so its a bit easier.

az supporter
az supporter

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:40 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
More info regarding throttle bodies.

Earlier in the year I tried out my M18A throttle body to see what would happen. Initially everything looked good except that the car was idling a little over 2000rpm. I decided to leave it in for a few days and see what it was like. After a day or so the ECU was able to adjust the idle down a bit and it was idling at about 1800rpm, but there was a bigger issue. As the revs came back down to idle after a drive the revs would start to fluctuate, jumping around from about 1200rpm to 2000rpm about once a second. The video below shows what was happening.

Driving at slow speeds was impossible. Just rolling around a car park the car would be idling OK and then it would kick in and rev up to 2000rpm+ (without even touching the accelerator) which would see the car lurch forward and take off all on its own.

In the end I switched back to the M13A throttle body until a solution is found.

One thing I learned from the swap is that the coolant pipes on the throttle body are slightly different between the two. You can see it in this picture:

All it means is that you need to use the hoses from the throttle body you are using as they will be the right length and already bent to suit..

- Tim.

Last edited by tim80z on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile WWW  

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 pm 
Reply with quote Top  
The only parts I used off the swift motor was the injectors and a bare engine.
I have had trouble free motoring since I have done the conversion. I have the same fuel economics maybe a little bit more and much better response in power at low rpm, and I'm even running a stock exhaust.
Me personally I'd use the injectors suited to the motor as there will be a reason for that, more likely they flow differently or set up differently however the tech people say it.
Me personally the jimny ecu is at its limits handling the m15 or the m16, If I was going to do the m18 I would put a piggy back engine management system on it and get it tuned correctly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next

Jump to: